Friday, May 24, 2024

Bezaleel's Calling

 



The books of Moses contain some of the most exciting stories in the Bible, but they also contain some of the dullest chapters. 

I believe every word in the Bible is there for a reason and is holy. But some chapters are a bit tedious to read through. Exodus 21-31 are like that for me. -laws and building instructions for the tabernacle

This time as I read the instructions, I tried to picture what it might have been like. As you know, I enjoy foraging for wild edibles. I like to imagine that I could survive in the wilderness, but I highly doubt my survival skills would sustain me for long. I doubt I could keep myself alive for forty years, let alone a million people! And build a beautiful tabernacle as well?! I could maybe make a shelter of some kind, but nothing as elaborate as the tabernacle!

God gave Moses detailed instructions on how to build the tabernacle. As I read through the instructions for the umpteenth time in my life I still didn't understand. I could read those instructions a million times and still have no clue how to even begin this building project. But there was a man who received the instructions and nodded his head and then went to work and actually BUILT IT! 

He was in the middle of the wilderness! All he had was scraps of fabric and jewelry donations. Bezaleel and his friend, Aholiab, were brilliant! God told Moses they were filled with the Spirit! 

When I started reading Exodus chapter 31 this time, I had forgotten who this guy was. I had been reading about God talking with Moses. Chapter after chapter of these lists of things. As you know, I like stories, so when I read God told Moses that there is a man named, Bezaleel who is filled with the Spirit of God, that caught my attention. I was reading slowly that night and picturing this amazing person who God chose to help Moses. Verse 3 said this man had wisdom, understanding and knowledge as well as being filled with the spirit of God! My mind wandered to the many people mentioned in Genesis and Exodus who could also be described this way. Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Joseph, Moses... I wondered what great leadership role this Bezaleel would fulfill and why his name wasn't as familiar to me. Then I read verses 4 and 5. He was brilliant! This man could do it all! -stonework -woodcarving -metal work -building furniture -making dishes...


Somehow when I first saw he was filled with the spirit of God I presumed there would be a sermon from him, or something, but I don't really see him saying anything! I don't even know if he could read and write, but he could build! He could take those mysterious instructions that God had given Moses on the mountain, look at the supplies they had on hand and actually BUILD IT! I don't know if he said a single word the whole time! 


I stopped for a minute and imagined Bezaleel, Aholiab and the others referenced in verse 6 and I was super impressed. Then, of course, I had an epiphany. (Probably the same one everyone who has ever read these few verses has realized, but still...) 

Evidently God can use all kinds of people, not just the ones who are good at public speaking! 

He needs people who are good at building, who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty, or don't mind hours of quiet solitude. He intentionally created people with a variety of personalities, gifts and talents in each generation! 

My mind went to the writings of Paul in the New Testament. Remember when he listed a few different gifts followers of Jesus might have? And remember that other list with those other things too?  -those lists that I just read over quickly because it wasn't an interesting story. Well, you and I were in one of those lists! Maybe we aren't a pastor, or missionary. Maybe it seems like we aren't doing much to build the kingdom of God. But if you and I can say, "Yes!" to the job God has given us to do, He can use us to do amazing things too! Things that others might look at and not even know where to start! (like my messy kitchen)

Maybe your job seems menial to you, but without you doing what you do best, the body of Christ would not function right. So, take on the task God has given you today! We need you! He needs you!

May God fill us with His Holy Spirit, wisdom, understanding and knowledge to do what He has given us to do today. May we take on these tasks with confidence knowing that we were born at this time, for this purpose! 




No comments:

Post a Comment