Monday, September 4, 2023

The Biblical Feast of the Nations





Here in the Pacific Northwest, the fall rains have already begun. After about three months of hot, dry weather and wildfires, we were suddenly blessed with a nice soaking rain. Day after day of drenching, beautiful rain! The cooler, wetter weather means the Fall Feasts will soon be here, so it is time for me to write about these increasingly popular festivals. 



First comes Feast of Trumpets 





In years past we acknowledged this day many different ways. When my kids were little we ate apples dipped in honey and blew homemade paper trumpets. Some years we had friends over and had shofar blowing contests, made circular challah bread, and squeezed our own grape juice on Trumpets. 
            


Last year my youngest was 10 years old, so none of the little kid crafts, like the paper trumpets, interested anyone. Young adults and big kids, busy with jobs and crazy schedules made it look a lot different from previous years. A relative came over and brought honeycomb. I picked apples off of our tree. We blew our shofars and laughed. It was short and sweet and kept me smiling all day. Later that evening, I stood on the porch by myself in the stillness and took a picture of the moon to share digitally with the kids. It was peaceful and joyous. I realized that meeting with our Creator is the most important. I sang praise songs to Him into the night.

The Holiest Night of the Year

On Day of Atonement we sometimes dress in white, sing songs and read scriptures.

It's strange that, this holy day, was the last one that I began to observe. I wasn't sure what to do on this day. Some years we fasted from something. We would also go to the river with some friends and throw bread into the water and talk about our sins being thrown into the depths of the sea. 

Last year, when Yom Kippur came, I resigned myself to, and even looked forward to observing this day alone with my Savior. I wore my white shirt and took my Bible and a blanket and headed for my favorite spot in the yard. Soon my oldest daughter joined me. It was an amazing experience. I opened the Bible and it just happened to open to something that related to the day. We prayed and sang and read and just sat and listened to the quiet. We felt so clean. Washed. It was a beautiful experience. We felt like burdens were lifted and chains were broken. So often it is in the simple, quiet, unplanned moments that our Creator makes Himself known.

Feast of Tabernacles 


  
For Feast of Tabernacles, or Sukkot, we have gone to Feast of Tabernacle Camp meetings a few times. Some years we build a sukkah on our porch using branches from trees in our yard. Every day we add something to the sukkah to make it more comfy and beautiful. We put pillows and blankets in there and go out there throughout the day to read and snuggle. I fix easy meals, like soup, that we can grab when we are hungry. I love sneaking out there to just breathe for a few minutes throughout the day. In the evening we sit out there as a family and play games and eat snacks. I do a minimal amount of housework that week. We use disposable dishes and eat a lot of finger foods.


Some years we often camp at the nearby river with some friends. During the day each family does their own thing, but we eat dinner together. Each family takes turns being in charge of dinner. In the evening we sit around the fire and talk, play games, discuss scripture and sing songs.


Last year. at Sukkot time, we couldn't get everyone together to camp, or even build a proper booth. We decorated the grape arbor with colorful cloths and a branch in each corner. I set up a little mattress and comfy chairs. I set a waterproof container with snacks and drinks in it out there. My youngest and I went out there to do schoolwork each day. In the evenings, whoever was home would go out there and read a scripture and eat snacks and pray.
My daughter and I embroidered with gold thread on the hanging cloths some evenings. We strung lights up in the grape arbor. At night the light reflected off of the embroidered thread.
One evening I was driving home and noticed all the dark Halloween decorations in our neighborhood. As I reached our driveway I saw the light. The sukkah shone bright with gold and blue and purple. I realized that this October I hadn't felt depressed or sad. I felt warm and hopeful. May we always have light in our hearts, even if we are surrounded by darkness.
This year I want to do more. I didn't grow up celebrating holidays, except Thanksgiving and birthdays. I realize that I have an opportunity to start family traditions that future generations may enjoy. Besides, my middle child asked me to be more organized this year!  So, I better start planning! 

My Plan This Year


It seems like I get a theme each year, even if I don't really do much with it. 

This year, my word is: Nations! 

These feast days look forward to the Second Coming of Jesus. We practice listening for the Trumpet. Ten days later, we think about the Lamb of God and our names being written in the Book of Life. Five days after that begins an eight-day celebration of dwelling in tents, or booths and looking forward to that Last Great Day when people from every tongue, nation, tribe and people, will dwell together in unity! 

If you are honoring these special days this year, please share any thoughts and ideas you have.
May God bless your day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment