Friday, May 26, 2023

Where's the Fruit?

 I started writing this blog a week ago. Scribbled out on a scrap piece of paper as I waited for my son to finish his mowing job. Monday was the day I planned to type it out, but I found myself mowing instead. Why was I mowing when there are four perfectly capable men on this property who would have gladly mowed the lawn? I had dishes to do and laundry to fold and a garden to weed, yet mowing is how I decided to spend my evening. I told myself it was because mowing is more satisfying than my other chores. Dishes and laundry never seem to be done. But, after I get done mowing I can admire the smooth lawn for days! But, then, as I finished my last round on the mower in the dim light of dusk, I remembered what I had planned to do Monday evening: Write this blog!



 I know I am not the only writer who struggles with procrastination. But, why do we? Especially when we love writing so much? I'm not sure, but I think it may be because there is a finality to typing my thoughts out. Once I hit "publish" this idea will be solidified. Monday evening it was still fluid. Flowing in and out of my mind as I mowed around the trees and down the little hills, choosing what to cut short and what to leave long. In fact, I may not even use my notes from last week after all. 

So much has happened since last Thursday.

But, this blog isn't about what has happened since Thursday (at least I don't think it will be). It is about another Feast Day that is coming up this weekend. Some know it as "Shavuot", but most of you know it by the Christian name of "Pentecost". 

Do you remember Passover?   ~ 50 days ago. 

We remembered the ancient Israelites becoming free from the bondage of slavery. We remembered the sacrifice our Savior paid to rescue us from the bondage of sin. Some of us ate unleavened bread. 

The climate where I live is usually still cold and wet at Passover time and this year was no exception. The branches on the deciduous trees were bare and brown. It was hard for me to tell which trees were dead and which ones were just resting. But now, everything is alive. I have watched the miraculous explosion of life in the plants and animals around me. Trees that seemed dead at Passover time are now leafed out and covered with singing birds and humming bees. New flowers have bloomed each week since then.

If the Feast Days are a picture of our walk with Christ I imagine Passover time portraying a new believer. They might not look all that different at first. At least not on the outside. But something new IS alive inside of them. Growth is happening.

Did you know God commanded His people to do something between Passover and Pentecost? Leviticus 23: 15 & 16 describe it. We are to COUNT! Each evening we count by ones. Each week we count by sevens. Until we have reached seven weeks or forty-nine days. The next day, day fifty, is Pentecost. (I hope I have that right.)

Pentecost is the anniversary of Israel receiving the written law. Exodus 19 begins this story. It is also the anniversary of the followers of Christ receiving the Holy Spirit.  This story is in Acts chapter 2. The law was written on hearts along with the power of God to do what He says.

One of the first years I celebrated Shavuot/Pentecost I called my aunt in Israel. I was confused. Somehow, when I started counting, as I watched the trees explode into lush, green masses of life, I presumed I would see fruit by Pentecost. But, here I was, staring at my cherry tree and seeing nothing but green. No red, pink, or even yellow. 

"There isn't fruit here in Israel either," she said. "That's why it is called firstfruits." I didn't even try to figure that one out. I had no first ripe anything to bring to the table. But, this year, surrounded by very much alive everything, my mouth watering for the berries that should be ripe any day now, I wondered what spiritual lesson is in all this.

Do we expect spiritual fruit to be manifested in our lives, or in the lives of those around us, without the indwelling of the Holy Spirit? 

Without the POWER from ON HIGH, we cannot reach our full potential. 

May God bless you with a fresh anointing of Ruach HaKodesh, His Holy Spirit, this weekend. And, may we all bear much fruit this summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment